Monday, September 1, 2008

New Month

Mentally engaged. In foreign territory. I can honestly say that I know very little about pediatric HIV/AIDS. And every patient I saw today (which is kind of a lie, because I sat in with another doctor and observed), was there for one reason. The child with either infected with HIV, or has AIDS. Today was a bit of a crash course in learning how the clinic operates, and getting a basic primer in the drugs that are used on the SA scheme. The drugs have been available since 2004, and it is a nice, simple regimen of drugs.
 
There were a few interesting things today. One of them being a woman who brought her niece if for her doctor's appointment, and when she entered the building that we work in, Harriet Shezi, Pediatric HIV service, that's the moment she realized that her sister's daughter, who lives with them (many families in one house) was HIV positive. This was a very intelligent woman, who had time to process a few things in the waiting room, including, concerns of disease exposure (But doctor, she had a cut that was bleeding and my daughter got blood on her, do I need to worry)...
 
Other themes.. orphaned children. Both parents dead from HIV. Or looking at parents who are ill themselves, and not on treatment, who are struggling to provide for these kids.
 
I'll say, that many times the past few months I have felt a bit torn about my dual med-peds training, and have felt this angst to spend more time treating these children, in the long term, and today I sat and caught myself thinking that these children have so many strike against them, why wouldn't I dedicate more time to helping them? The kids are in this state because of circumstances beyond their control... But, for balance, the other day I found myself running through adult treatment algorithms for cardiac events, and slightly looking forward to treating some adult conditions.. I guess at the end of the day, I'll be happy that I'm dually trained..
 
As for now, I should turn of the computer and spend some time educating myself, will start seeing patients on my own in clinic tomorrow (will discuss them with the attending)..