Friday, September 12, 2008

Running with...


[I have to type this fast so that I can get out the door and make it to the thing that I have been excited about for a week now-I'm literally jumping up and down inside I'm so excited for what I have planned for tonight]
 
I got out of work early again today, as like last Friday. So I went for an afternoon run in the local nature reserve. I was running along, concentrating hard on the trail. Readers will know I have a tendency to look around while trail running, and in essence this leads to scarification. So I was running, looking down, thinking about an ethical dilemma from today, which pisses me off and I'm actually not going to write about it at all. So I'm cruising along (the wind was at my back, I was making great time. Well, I don't know about time I didn't have a watch). So I was cruising, and I look up and see a horse. Which isn't unusual since there are often horses in a pasture at the end of the run.
 
Except that..
 
It wasn't a horse. It was a wildebeest. Yes, when I looked closer (again, I was deep in though) I noted it was an ugly looking horse. Or rather a wildebeest. then I noticed that there were half a dozen of then. Looking at me. And then I noted the dozen or so Zebras. How quickly I was reminded I live in South Africa.
 
I don't know much about wildebeest. I suspect they taste like Buffalo. But I wasn't about to go bite into one. I was more concerned about their name. I thought it was (WILDA-BEAST). Aka WILD BEAST. Which to me means that they eat humans. Or charge. Or hurt people. The Zebras didn't concern me, and I know the wildebeests eat grass, or at least they had been when I showed up, but who the hell knows, maybe that is a ploy. Hey Mr Human, come pet me, look I eat glass. And then when you pet them, the maul you to death!
 
So, I did what I remembered from living in the wilds of Colorado. Climb a tree? Play Dead? Back up? So I turned around and cursed them for not letting me finish my run (like less than half a kilometer). (Kilometer, it's metric. Look at your speedometer).
 
To compensate for not getting my full run in, I took this long loop back, which loops up the side of a big hill (I almost called it a mountain, but that would be SUCH an exaggeration). And ran much longer than I have been. I already feel the pain in my legs.
 
Ok, I am outta here.
Happy Friday.