Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brief Hiatus...

Hello-
 
It was a holiday here today. Things were closed. Not much going on. Moritz (my German housemate) and I headed into town, where much to my extreme sadness Bean There was closed, so I couldn't get fresh roasted coffee beans. I can hear the hecklers already, but I think of the Kenyan farmer who they are buying the beans from, and the positive impact that these guys are making with their business. My coffee "habits" are bettering the lives of others. That and I'm really keen to try the Rwandan beans that they have been working on...
 
So, after the failed coffee expedition we headed to Newtown to explore a bit. This is the area that I decided to not explore back in June before I started work, as I wasn't so sure this was an area I should be out walking around in. But upon further enquiry, I have found that it is safe(ish) enough to walk around in the vicinity of a few blocks. We checked out a rather mediocre museum, and then we were directed to the Oriental Market. Which was a nice find, and was hopping. We had some curry for lunch and enjoyed fun people watching. Then we picked up a med student that Moritz knows from the hospital, and made our way to the Soweto Festival.
 
The Soweto Festival was a mix of music and vendor stalls, and some really great people watching. There was a 46664 sponsored stage which produced an absolutely shocking/inspiring/motivating 3 actor play about breaking the stigma of HIV/AIDS, and encouraging open discussion of HIV/AIDS in SA (As is becoming my soapbox: People just don't talk about it). One of the things they did was ask for a show of hands of who had been tested for HIV among those in the audience. Just this simple act of raising ones hand in front of complete strangers conveyed a powerful message. I, of course, have been tested. But I was very self conscious of having others know that, as if by them knowing that I have been tested, it means I am open to be judged for my actions. 
 
I heard more facts which I had tried to commit to memory to share, but am beginning to think that writing about facts and figures is such a poor method to convey the level of seriousness which this miserable virus/pandemic deserves. Sitting there, among the patients I treat, being keenly aware that I was an outsider, but feeling welcomed, again made me realize how lucky I am to have been able to make this year happen. Though, as is becoming the norm, there was a sense of being powerless to bring about change to this crisis, and wondering what my part will be down the road, and how to make this part of the world a little better.
 
The holiday ended with a trip to the Westcliffe Hotel for a drink. I'll get the pics up in the coming days, but the rewarding view from the hotel was a nice way to wind down the day.
 
As for the brief hiatus, I've got a few things that really need some attention in the coming days, and while it may only take a few minutes to read these entries, I spend a fair amount of time thinking of what I want to write about, and even more time actually writing them. (Which is why I don't proof read them, cause that would take even more time).
 
So, I'll catch up with y'all in a few days.