Monday, September 29, 2008

Anticipation

"It's horrible."
 
That has been the response from more than one person, well in fact, just about everybody when I tell them I am doing neonates next month.
 
Neonates, for clarification, I found out today means NICU, a transition unit , and then a combination of kids not sick enough to get in the NICU or transition unit, but still sick-ish, and covering deliveries, c-sections, etc etc etc
 
I've had some theories as to why people don't favorable enjoy NICU. And in fact, back at home home institution, it's not the favorite amongst everybody either. But I don't think I've heard NICU, or even any rotation described as horrible. I suspect that since Neonates is a required rotation of all doctors in SA, that if you don't like kids, then Neonates is bound to be a bit painful...
 
I also suspect that part of the reason it's not too terrible enjoyable, is that it is a busy month. Honestly, we all like a little downtime in our day, and I hear that it's constantly running and being behind. But, at least it's just for a month.
 
So, I kind of figure that I've done a fair bit of neonates, and I'm looking forward to seeing the differences here, and a more practical approach. And then I heard this figure today.
 
24,253 births last year in Bara.
 
Wow. That's a helluva lot of babies.
 
461 babies weighing less than 1kg
584 babies weighing between 1kg and 1.5 kg
942 between 1.5 and 2kgs
 
(1kg=2.2lbs)
 
Funny how anticipation can melt into anxiety...
 
Neonates starts on wed, first call on saturday...