Friday, July 18, 2008

TGIF

It's Friday, and then end of a 12 day stretch!
 
I can't complain. I actually got out early, and have had a lazy afternoon. I'm sitting outside, just finished a Castle (popular SA lager) and munched some biltong (a SA meat jerky). I'm actually not sure what kind of meat it is-check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong. I almost made a break for the Drakensberg mountains this afternoon, but would have gotten down there about dusk, and then would have needed to head back early afternoon. Could have maybe gotten a quick hike in, but I also read about this amazing place to watch the sunset, and figured that I wouldn't be there for the sunset.. so am postponing. Maybe until next weekend. (If I can get my car all registered by then).
 
My 1 year old is still alive. His sats are better today, he looks a bit worse overall, but seemed more alert. It's really tough to know if he is suffering. In one sense, how can he not be suffering, yet he doesn't raise much protest. Though, he may well not have the energy to protest much. He is still eating, still peeing, which I take as good signs. He finally did get a chest xray at some point yesterday, after we had left. And it looks horrible, but he actually sounded clearer this am. I'm thinking there is a slim possibility that he may make it. I think this kid has got to be a bit of a fighter, he's been neglected for so long to get in this shape. One of the other docs thinks I'm crazy to think this kid will make it. She may be right, she has loads more experience. So, as crass as it may sound, we have a dinner bet on if the kid is still alive when we get back to work on Sunday.
 
Between yesterday and today, we've started TB treatment on half of my kids!  I'm learning the diagnostic criteria for TB.
1-positive PPD (skin test)
2-TB contact
3-abnormal chest xray and has a cough
4-weight loss and TB contact
5-exposed to somebody w/ TB and _______ (fill in the blank)
6-positive gastric aspirate or sputum for TB
7-Kid's been on antibiotics, isn't getting better, must have TB
 
Ya kind of hate to label kids with diseases, but the diagnosis of TB is very much a clinical one, and I've been trying to stick to objective criteria, but am learning that TB sometimes just has poor objective tests, or tests whose results take too long (TB cultures take weeks).
 
Have a good weekend.