Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Square One, and Hiearachy

I find myself in an interesting spot...
 
4 months ago, as a senior resident of the pediatric ward, I felt pretty comfortable in doing my daily duties. Admitting kids. Talking with parents. Supervising interns and medical students. Reporting to attendings...
 
Contrast to how things are shaping up for these next 2 months. I'm seeing medical issues that I have no clue about (HIV, marasmus and kwashiorkor-profound malnutrition states, meningitis-real meningitis) and things I suck at (blood draws, IVs). And I find myself a few rungs down the totem pole. Throw in the fact that I have yet to really grasp how the system works (blood forms, ultrasound forms, xray forms, discharging patients), and I find myself a bit out of the comfort zone where I was coasting nicely back in March.
 
I thought a lot about some of my colleagues back home. I recalled being on night float as the senior resident, and my "intern" actually had 2 years+ more experience than me, and how odd it felt. And I'm in his shoes now. I'm not too sure my registrar (my senior resident) has much idea that I've 1.5 years pedi training, and that I have  good deal of pedi knowledge, I just don't know much about the things they see on the wards here. It's all a bit humbling. But, thinking back to some of my colleagues back home, and even those who were fully qualified and ended up repeating internship level, I guess I can take comfort that there are many who have also been through this, and dropping down the hierarchy is going to get me the experience I came here for...
 
My gym membership starts today, so I'm off to the gym to expel some excess energy.