Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Whoa!

Back from the Sani Pass yesterday. Was beautiful. The 4-wheeling was great fun.
 
But now, it's full throttle right now. Like a maniac, I'm trying to sell my car (and wow, what a fun experience this is turning out to be), trying to finish my research project (and wow, I'm even further behind than I thought, after talking to my advisor today), trying to decide what to pack (and wow, I have a lot of crap, a lot of which is outdoor equipment I already have in the US), trying to get the post office to find my stuff (and wow, they may give some reimbursement-too bad I can't really recall what was in there, as well as the fact that the most precious thing has no value).
 
I'm in a bit of a whirlwind right now, and am so aware that these minor hassles are a small "price" to pay for such a great year...
 
I slept under the stars Monday night and tried to reflect. I couldn't really reflect because I had a migraine headache, was sleeping outside because the B&B was too noisy, and it was freezing. I thought watching for shooting stars and reflecting about the past year would bring me to some profound thought that I could summarize, and would help my migraine go away. My migraine didn't go away. And I didn't have profound thoughts. But I did see, perhaps, the most brilliant shooting star of my life. And for some reason, enjoying the moment solo, cold, and in discomfort was perfect.
 
The next few days are occupied with the above tasks. Selling my car. Packing. De-cluttering (just will let you guess what that means). Haggling with the post office. Finishing my research. Enjoying time with my friends. Implied in this, is drinking boat loads of coffee (and likely wine).
 
Departure from Jozi: Saturday June 27
Back to work (in the ICU for a few days, if you can believe that one) July 1.
 
-