Thursday, June 25, 2009

Running into the Sunset

I debated, hard. Opening my bottle of Meerlust and watching the sunset versus a run. I needed something. I needed to appreciate the dusk. It was a perfect cloudless Jozi evening, and the sunset was going to be superb, and I was not sure which would be the better way to appreciate it, a glass of fine wine, or sweating and pounding the pavement.

I gave my Swiss housemate a ride into town today. He is going to be leaving the house and will be living on part of the Wits campus--the old Johannesburg College of Education Campus. At JCE, I showed the guard my Wits Staff ID card, and we drove into the campus. And I dropped him off outside Gyrton Hall. And unexpectedly, a flood of memories were unleashed. Almost exactly 5 years ago to the date, I was dropped off, outside Gyrton Hall, by a taxi, and a few days later I would be getting ready to start my rotation at Bara, as a medical student.
 
From there, I left and headed over to 44 Stanley, home of my favorite coffee roasters. When I was there a few days ago, the head Barista and I were chatting and he told me I must stop by again before I leave Jozi. So I popped in this morning to enjoy my new favorite coffee drink (a PICCOLO- a strong, sweet latte served in a 90ml glass), do a bit of work, and then chat with the Barista. It was slightly embarrassing a few days ago when we did finally chat. For some reason, when he found out I was leaving, we just ended up having this great spontaneous conversation about being foreigners, and life etc. Turns out, he is a Zim refugee, who was a high school teacher before he was forced to flee Zim. (Does this sound familiar)? Anyway, when I headed to the till to pay, he handed me an SA music CD, as a gift. Needless to say, I was shocked at the kindness of this very humble ex-teacher-now-barista.
 
From there I may my way to Parkhurst, where I had a late breakfast with one of my ID attendings. We chatted and ate for 2 hours, catching up on clinic business, as well as possible future plans for pursuing a Trop Med course (she's pushing for me to consider the program where she went). Suddenly it was approaching 1pm, and I was overdue at the HIV clinic for lunch. We parted and headed to Bara.
 
I joined the HIV team for lunch, AK and I chatted for a bit, and then we walked to the xray department to consult the radiologists on a patient he was seeing, I ended up in clinic and made a round to say farewell to the other consultants, as well as the counselors, and then I headed to Ward 18, my old ward. My favorite pediatric nurse and I chatted for a bit, took some pics, and while I was there, the Registrars I worked with were there for a pedi infectious diseases round, so it was marvelous running into them and having a bit of closure. And then I departed for home.
 
And driving home, thinking about packing up my room, it just suddenly hit me that this was, or is, my last night in Mondeor. I made a cup of coffee, mulled over things, and then it was obvious-I could time it perfectly so that as I ran away from the house, I'd see the blue-purple haze hit the hills, and when I reached my turn back point, I'd capture the best part of the sunset. And that's what happened. Finally, after many attempts, I capture it perfectly. I went to the nature reserve, stopped to watch the stars, and the brushfire off in the distance..
 
Now it is late. Very late. I'm half packed. The bottle of Meerlust has enough wine for one glass (I took it to my landlord's house as we watched SA lost to Brazil and discussed life and their departure for Kili in the morning).
 
That is it. Off into the sunset. A year at Bara is over.
 
Thanks for reading these posts.
 
-