Wednesday, May 6, 2009

See One....

See one.
Do one.
Teach one.
 
The old mantra of teaching in hospitals. See a procedure done. Do the next one. And then teach others how to do one. It has kind of fallen out of favor back in the US. More like. See one or two done. Be observed while doing a few. And then teach to the interns/junior residents next year.
 
"When was the last time you did one?"
"Oh, when I was here at Bara in 2003."
"Great, you scrub, I'll walk you through it."
 
I think medicine has become less invasive in the US. At least where I train. We aren't as aggressive about placing central lines (an IV into the neck or some other big-ie, not arm- vein), or other invasive procedures (like arterial lines) unless really needed. But here, entrance into the ICU almost guarantees a central line and an arterial line. You're likely already intubated.
 
I went to see what the recent blood gas showed on my patients. He'd been rather ok at 8am, but we were making strides to get him off the ventilator. When I dropped by earlier he was somewhat agitated after being suctioned. But when I went by again later, he was in respiratory distress. 6 days ago, he was hit by a car. He has lung contusions bruises, bilateral hemothoraces (blood accumulating between the lungs and chest wall) and still has in one chest drain (to get the blood out, the other drain was removed the day before), a clavicle fracture, and a head injury. Oh, and now he's in respiratory distress. Shit.
 
I assess him. And he sounds full of fluid in the lungs, and it is spurting out his breathing tube as well. I try to dry him out a bit, and to sedate him a bit, but I don't make much progress. I had ordered his daily chest xray hours before. But it has not been done. I call them again. I get one of the other residents to come assess him well. We escalate our treatment and give some ketamine while we wait to switch vents so we can also give some nebulizer treatments as well. We call the attending to ask to sedate and paralyze the patient; which he vetoes.
 
The xray folks kindly show up, almost and hour and a half from when I called the first time.
 
And shit, he now has a new pneumothorax (air trapped between the lung and chest wall) on the side which we'd heard the worse crackles. While it is nice to have an explanation for what's causing him to (quickly) decompensate, it would have been nice to know that an hour ago.
 
And there I am, cutting his skin like the internist that I am. Gingerly. I'm thankful that the brash trauma surgery resident who is also working in the unit is post-call and gone, for if she were guiding me through this, I could imagine her level of irritation at this point. And I dissect down, splitting the layers of muscle and poking between the ribs to release a gush of air and old blood.
 
Well, isn't this what I signed up for? Yesterday I placed a central line without the comforts of ultrasounds. I learned the anatomy of where to stick the needle in the neck to hit the jugular vein. And on the same patient I placed an arterial line as well. And today I inserted a chest tube. Next time I do these, I should, by historical training guidelines, not only do them alone, but teach somebody how to do them. I don't feel like the expert who could teach somebody how to do one.
 
I swung by Ward 36 after work to say hello to a friend who is on-call for pediatrics tonight. It was a zoo, and I had fond memories. She was in the treatment room. I headed in there and tried to sooth an infant as she tried to jab in an IV. Jab isn't a nice way to say it, she was being the skilled doc that she is. I saw the thrush. I saw the lack of tears and very dry mucous membranes. I saw the increased work of breathing and fast breathing rate. I felt the enlarged liver. The kid looked appropriately nourished.
 
"Let me guess. HIV exposed, not tested yet, gastro and pneumonia?"
She smiles.
"Want to stay and admit kids tonight?
 
She didn't get the IV. "What's wrong with this one" I ask as I hold the infants hand which has an IV in it.
"It's not working."
 
I try to flush it. She laughs in an I-told-you-so manner. I remove the tape at the IV site. Pull off the tubing connected to the IV catheter, and I try to flush it. The saline goes in nice and smoothly.
"Dr Brian!"

They never flush IVs, they clot off all the time, and you just have to replace the tubing which allows you to keep the IV site and then you don't have to poke the kids again. I just smile. They are getting nailed. She has brand new interns on tonight. It's going to be a long night.
 
I head to the car. I had been in such a comfort zone the past few months, that I forget what it was like to be somewhere where almost everything is foreign to me. I know the physiology. I know the diseases. I am marginal at managing the vents. I don't know the technical procedures. I don't know which medicines they use. I don't know how to prescribe the drugs as milliliters of drug, and not milligram of drug. But I'm learning And I'll learn fast. When I stepped into Ward 36 ten months ago, I didn't know how to place an IV in a kid. I didn't know about HIV....
 
Sometimes I just forget that I'm here to learn.
 
 
BPB