Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kruger Day 3

Here kitty kitty kitty..

I know I skipped day 2. Woke too tired to get out of bed. The goal had been to leave at 6am. Who the hell gets up at 6am on vacation, from a warm bed??? Ug. Drove around for a few hours once I did get up. Saw hippos, elephants, giraffes, and other things. No damn lions. Came back to my hut (I'm not kidding) did a bit of reading and a bit of work stuff, took a glorious nap, and then went on a night drive safari. Just like the TV show, had bright spot lights to look for the reflection of eyes in the dark. Saw a white Rhino and some other non-cat animals. Had to listen to the constant moronic babble from the people behind me. And wondered why I didn't bring whiskey along. Oh, and during the morning, as I came back from the communal kitchen with hot water for *gasp* instant coffee, a little twerp monkey ran away from my kitchen area (it's in front of the hut) with my yogurts!! And then a few hours later, as I was stopped at a picnic area, admiring the view of a river, a little twerp monkey jumped up from my feet (I didn't even know he was there, I was lost in thought-but people looking on witnessed the entire event) and grabbed my apple out of my hand and ran up a tree and ate in in front of me. Bastards. I am thinking that shooting monkeys may be permissible

I compromised with myself today, and decided a 7am start time was realistic. And low and behold, was rewarded with a few lions and cubs this morning. Well, not infant cubs, they looked older. Got some pics, and then felt let off the hook. I've seen 4 of the Big 5 Animals, just needed a leopard or cheetah (honestly, what's the difference) and was setting my expectations low. 4 of 5 is 80%. I can live with that.

Drove around a bit this afternoon. Stopped at a lunch spot and started reading "Left for Dead" which is Beck Weather's account of the failed 1996 Everest climbing expedition. And then I drove to a hide. I turned off the car, manually locked the door as I didn't want the beeping of the car alarm being activated to put me on bad terms with those in the hide. These folks are serious! Got to see some animals from the hide. There were some overzealous photographers there who were too serious... They got all pissed off when a car alarm beeped twice as the hit the button before getting in the car so that the alarm didn't go off. To which the serious photographer remarked to his wife "asshole using his hooter."

[note: hooter is South Africa for horn. Not like the American Hooters. Either form of the American Hooters]

Anyway. My laptop was in the back of my Bakkie. I have kleptophobia (the fear of having things stolen-ever since my car was broken into a few years ago), and so, I tried to remotely lock my car while I was in the hide. I figured the serious photographers wouldn't know it was me. I kept hitting the button, but did not hear the "beep beep" of the alarm turning on. C'est la view. When my kleptophobia got the best of me, I decided I would leave the hide. As I started to sit down in my bakkie, I wondered why the alarm light was blinking out of sync. Sadly, I couldn't stop the downward pull of gravity, and as I rocked the car, my car alarm went off.

Yes, thank you very much. I again, fucked up at the hide. Bye bye animals. I could almost hear the serious photographer mutter "asshole." Apparently, when I had hit the button to engage the car alarm, it had worked, I just didn't hear the beep beep.

When in Africa... I'm glad I've done the safari thing. It's been a successful trip. I've seen lots of game. Have finished one book, and am starting another. Have even gotten a bit of work done. But at the end of the day, give me my backpack, and mountain solitude, where not encountering animals is often ok (bears for instance).

You can take the boy out of Colorado, but you can't take the Colorado out of the boy...

-