Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kruger Day One

Wow. I'm in a fog. I got up just past 3am this morning to drive a few hours east to the Kruger Park. I wanted to maximize my time here in the park, and so wanted to arrive in the early morning in hopes of seeing some animals before the day-time sun drove the animals to seek shelter from the heat. I managed to get just over 4 hours of sleep last night, but of course, was post-call and hadn't slept all day. It had been a great day. Left the ICU, went to the gym, then went grocery shopping (for my trip) and then home to pack a bit, and then back to work to plug along on my research project.
 
Then, Celine (an ID fellow from Hopkins who is also here for a year), her husband, and few peeps doing Epi from Hopkins came by for a tour of Bara. It was great as we were able to make a general run through NICU, Ward 36, Ward 18 (where sister Nicah-one of my all-time favorites was on-duty), and then ICU and medical admissions.
 
About ward 18-the other day I was walking outside along the corridor, and as I looked into ward 18, this kiddo waved at me. He had the open-close hand wave. He's tiny! So I stolled in to ward 18, and picked him up and looked at his chart. Turns out he is 2 years old. Though physically looks more like a 14 month old, but developmentally is closer to a 2 year old (though with possible language delay) and has some hormonal issues that is affecting his growth (I didn't read his chart far enough to get the specifics). But he is such a ham! I enquired if he needed a home-in America. And when I saw sister Nicah-she said that Thando does haven parents, and that he has been in the ward for many weeks...
 
Anyway, back to Kruger Park. The Prof of the ICU has already told me, explicitly that she will not give me an ICU bed if I get attacked by animals. This was her response when I asked exactly what people did here at Kruger. I assumed it would be like most parks. Some hiking trails, walking around etc. God I need a good hike about now, and was also looking forward to doing some running this weekend. And I was quickly told that in the park, you stay IN THE CAR! What?? What the hell kind of park is this where you have to stay in your car. Apparently, it's a park with lions and other cats that could/wold eat people??
 
Culture clash. I was driving along the dirt road about mid-day. I'd seen a bit of game. Elephants. Giraffes Buffalos. Birds. Plenty of miscellaneous antelope-things. And figured, as everybody has told me, that the cats are not really out during the day. So I was driving along, enjoying being on a dirt road, pretending I was driving my JEEP, ipod blaring, leaning out the window kind saying "here kitty kitty kitty," I was thoroughly entertaining myself, when I rounded a corned and came upon a "hide" and some disapproving stares of folks who had probably been sitting there for hours in the peace and quiet hoping to see animals. Well, they did. Doctorus americanus cum africanis, exhibiting the combined behaviour of being post-call from the ICU, sleep deprived, and enjoying being in nature. Oops.
 
I'll be on good behaviour tomorrow.
 
 
-blog