Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Open Letter, An Update, And Heading Off the Grid

Dear Blog Reader,
 
I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.
 
I hope that you're able to celebrate with the company of friends and family. To me, Thanksgiving is the last pure holiday, and really the most important annual celebratory event (aside from my birthday, which hasn't been declared a national holiday, yet).  I was fortunate enough last year be able to celebrate with my immediate family in Colorado, and a few years ago to celebrate with my family in Chicago. In times past, I've also celebrated with coworkers, classmates, and occasionally random strangers (in Dennys). There is something wholesome about cooking a good meal and enjoying the company of those who are close to us, be they friends, family. But also taking a moment to remember what we're thankful for. Yes, the painful tradition of going around the table, verbalizing what we're thankful for...
 
The past 5 months have been quite eventful. I've had the great fortune to have been graciously given a leave from my residency program to come here to Jo'burg. I came here to learn aspects of medical care that I am not exposed to back in the US. In my short time here, I've certainly learned a lot of medicine, but it's been the other lessons learned which have been equally, it not more, rich.
 
I feel like I've learned about a human spirit or drive which I never knew existed, demonstrated by a population whom I get to care for every single day at work. This is a culture which, even in the midst of lacking essentials, seem to be thankful regularly for health, for family, for the care provided to them.
 
And that's something I'm learning, to be thankful regularly, be it for my health, my friends, my family (even if they voted Republican), my job. The idea of sitting around a nice meal with family and friends to celebrate what we're thankful for is very inviting, but perhaps it should happen more regularly than once a year? Perhaps if we spent more time thankful for what we have, we'd be less pre-occupied about the things we don't have.?.
 
I will admit that I am failing to live up to my Expat duties in spreading this event amongst my friends and family here in Jo'burg. I tip my hat to Randall who is hosting Thanksgiving in China, where Turkeys and canned pumpkin are non-existent, whereas both are in the store here in Jo'burg. (Ah, flashbacks to the first Thanksgiving in Dublin). I will celebrate Thanksgiving by having a nice quiet dinner with David, and maybe a few other. Sadly, S&S are out of town.
 
 
 
And for an update...
 
This is the conclusion of my Bara Pediatric Experience. I'm wrapping up with Cardiology, and headed to Vic Falls on Friday. It is pretty incredible to think about the children that I have taken care of the past 5 months. I remember so many faces and names. I have a special fondness for many of the kids, including the one child I wished would have been adopted, as well as a special recollection of the children whom I took care of who died these past months. I've learned about HIV/TB in kids, as well as how to manage the malnutritition states. I've become adept at drawing blood, starting IVs and other nasty, but necessary, procedures. I'm aware how my management style has changed, be it for better or worse, I'm not sure yet. I set out to accomplish a list of goals for my pediatric experience, and all of those goals have been met.
 
 
And heading off the grid...
 
I made a list of priorities for this year which didn't include medicine. One of those was to visit Vic Falls. And so I will depart on Friday to Vic falls and then return on Sunday. Many months ago when I booked this trip (along with Myrrith who is this amazing Dutch Ob/Gyn Resident who is friend of a mutual friend), I only considered visiting the Zimbabwe side; as it is the more impressive side to visit. This was to the objection of certain friends here who felt I should boycott Zim and see the Zambian side. Nevertheless, I didn't even consider it. Until Friday. When taking care of Baby T and hearing the awful stories that her mom and aunt relayed, I wondered how I could enter this country knowing that revenue from this trip will likely trickle into the evil bastard Mugabe's bank account. Of course, the competing emotion was to find a way to work in Zim for the next 6 months. So anyway, on Friday I'm off to Vic Falls... I'll make sure I get a blog post up as well as some photos before:
 
 
And further off the grid...
 
On December 3rd, I'm flying to Nepal. For a month. In a string of random coincidences, I booked a flight to Nepal for my December break. And then in September I made some arrangement to extend the trip for the whole month. I know there is a regular cadre of readers, and it's been motivating to know that people have keenly followed me on this experience. I don't anticipate regular blog postings, but am sure I'll pop into a net café and just drop a note to say hello.
 
 
One Last Note...
 
As for the upcoming holiday season, I'd like to make a plug for reducing material needs, and consider making a donation to a charity which will improve the quality of life of those less fortunate.  Consider one of these, or some other charity, be it local or global which addresses the health needs of the less fortunate.
 
 
 
 
Again, I wish you a fantastic Thanksgiving, may the turkey be moist, may the company be enjoyable, and may we truly remember that most of us have many things to be thankful for.
 
Cheers,
Brian