Sunday, November 16, 2008

Humble Applesauce

I bought some apples last week that were on-sale. They looked ok, but of course they turned out to be mushy within a few days. No big deal, it cost me the equivalent of a buck for a dozen of them.
 
So tonight I made applesauce with them. While waiting for the apple sauce to cool down, I decided to make my daily pilgrimage to the ATM. While the exchange rate is good, I try to go daily and am stockpiling money. It is perfect outside, a very cool breeze, and the sunset is spectacular.
 
As I walked to the ATM, I walked past a woman still selling her wares. Often containing sandwich bag size portions of snacks, but also pieces of candy and cigarettes. I see the kids in clinic with the bags of snacks, and also the kids walking to school often have a bag or two in their hands, but I've never really discovered what was in those bags.
 
So, walking back from the ATM, I asked for a bag, which cost a 1 Rand, and also got a bag of peanuts for 1 Rand as well. ZAR 1. So I gave her a 10 rand, and as she reached for change, told her I that was ok, to keep the 8 Rand. And the way her face lit up was tremendous. Thank you thank you thank you.
 
Humbling how the equivalent of 80 cents appears to have made this womans day.