Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Take your phone-in case you get mugged

[Disclaimer: Don't freak out, and I will apologize now if any of this seems like trite American in foreign place shit]
 
I actually didn't have any errands to run today. I'm pretty well settled in. I need to go back to the the med school campus one last time to get my staff card photo taken (exciting), and will combine that with a trip to one of the trendy-artsy areas (Melville).
 
Today, I decided I'd visit the Apartheid Museum. It was very humbling being in the museum, and to just know that human nature can be very cruel. The museum is full of photos, news clips, and stories. Sadly, I forgot my camera. There were exhibits of hanging nooses to represent people who were executed by the government (or who "committed suicide" in prisons or jails). Also, re-creation of solitary confinement. It was inspiring to watch clips of the Soweto riots as well. I left the museum, and then on my agenda was to explore another area of JHB.
 
So, I arrive in Newtown which is much different that what I had pictures, and quite frankly, different than my trusted Lonely Planet had depicted, and decided that the area was perhaps a bit out of my comfort zone to go walking around. Silly, possibly, but quite frankly I'm not bold enough yet to go places that I'm not entirely sure I'm good to roam around, solo.
 
This was similar to when I went driving yesterday afternoon. I needed a study break, and decided to actually drive down to Bara. I kept going down the road a bit, and after a few miles realized that I didn't see any other white people driving, or walking, or anywhere for that matter. 
 
This afternoon, while reading, I was starting to feel stir crazy. I needed to get out and expel some energy. I needed to go for a run or something. Incidentally, I did join a gym down here, but that membership doesn't start until July 1. So, I talked to Jemma, who lives in the house, and has grown up here. She said it was safe to run, and pointed me in the direction of a small park, and also of a close by nature reserve. I had known about the nature reserve, but didn't realize I was as close to it as I am. So, I decided the nature reserve would be great to check out. And it's literally a few minutes down the road. So, I'm headed out the door, and Jemma adds:
 
"Take your phone, in case you get mugged."
 
And it dawns on me, that if I do get mugged, the only thing they are going to get is my phone! Well, maybe my running shoes too. I point this out, and then Jemma convinces me to take it in case I get lost.
 
The run was great. I ran through the a neighborhood to the nature reserve, signed in, and ran until the park closed (5pm). It was nice and cool out. On the outbound portion there weren't any building to see, and the area opened up to this nice meadow. There are hills around Mondeor, which thankfully break up the skyline. On the way back the sun was hitting the horizon, and the hills took on a reddish hue. Running back, out of the park, I was greeted by the 4 or so white people who were out and about. This struck me as soooo unusual for various reasons. In Dublin no strangers say hi. In Springfield, no strangers say hi. I said hi or nodded to others who weren't white, and kind of got strange looks.. Interesting.
 
I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow.