Monday, June 23, 2008

Mantra

The mantra for today: "Stay Left."
 
It's really tough to make your brain continually do something the opposite way, when it has been doing something for so long. They dropped off my rental car this morning at 11 a.m. And initially, I was disappointed that it was an automatic. However after driving just a short distance, it was nice to not have to navigate shifting while getting familiar with driving on the left side of the road again. I managed to make it to two shopping centers, and to the medical school in downtown Jo'burg. On my taxi ride home last night, I spoke with the taxi driver about the cost of petrol. And, I think we figured it out in that it is about five dollars per gallon. It was a little bit painful to fill up at the pump this morning.
 
For those who want to now, both my bags made it. This is in contrast, to the little brother who's bags failed to reach their target twice on his recent trip with their family.  Having already unpacked.   am quite impressed this time. I don't think I packed anything to ridiculously unnecessary for this trip.
 
The house is nice. Right now, and the owner's daughter is staying here as well. Otherwise it is just she and I. There is plenty of space here. I will try and put some pictures up, but it will depend on the Internet situation.
 
Speaking of the Internet, I paid a small fortune for access to the Internet. I had to buy an adaptor which will connect me to one of the mobile telephone companies, and subsequently will pay per kilobyte of download. This is an expense which I suspect will be well justified. I went a time without home Internet access, and think that having home access to e-mail is essential. There are some downfalls, mainly there won't be much ability to surf the Web aimlessly (which may be a good thing), but also will affect my ability to upload lots of photos-well, at least from home. And, I don't think Skype will be all that great with the connection speed I will have.
 
I went to the medical school today to find out the next chapter in the saga of my quest to obtain registration with the Board of medicine here. To recap, initially, I was to have received my registration back in March. And then there were some minor issues which I will not bore you with, but suffice to say my license was supposed to be issued by June 13. It has not been done yet. Which, really isn't all that surprising. There is a good hope, that it will be done before July 1, and now that I am physically in the country, it seems to give some credibility that I actually deserve the license because I am here. Regardless, I will be starting July 1, and will have activities tailored to the presence or absence of a license.
 
It's nice to be back abroad. A change of scenery. Languages I don't understand. Constantly realizing I don't know the norm (whadda mean I don't pump my own gas).  I'm sure there will be more on this later.
 
PS -- Jo' burg is 6 hour ahead of Boston.