Thursday, January 8, 2009

200

Wow. Flooded is the proper term. Waiting rooms overflowing, people sitting out on the lawn outside.
 
230 patients in clinic yesterday.
210 patients in clinic today.
 
There are many things I want to jot down, but am a bit short of time right now. And I'm also very sweaty and smelly, and we're going out to dinner soon, so I neet to make myself presentable. I'm sweaty and smelly, by the way, because there is no air conditioning, and when that many people are waiting in a building to be seen, the place gets hot.
 
I'm going to skip patient stories for now, because they are party composed in my brain, and I'd rather save them for later..
 
The clinic, has been incredible. Absolutely incredible. Seeing simple clinic visits which can be done in 10-15 minutes, to seeing sick, sick people. Admitted 1 person with an acute-ish abdomen today, but also saw a sick guy yesterday (who I should have just admitted for his work up) but instead did labs on him, and he failed to show up for results today, and based on his labs alone needs to be admitted to work up his multiple abnormalities.. That's on tomorrow's TO DO list, somehow find the sick guy who didn't show up today and get his *ss in the hospital.
 
I saw my last patient at 5:30 tonight. She arrived at the hospital at about 9 this morning, waited in a queue for a long time to register, and then waited in our clinic for a long time. When it looked like patients weren't going to be seen in time to go get their HIV medicines filled from the HIV pharmacy, they were sent from the clinic with new scripts (and likely waited in line there for well over an hour, maybe 2-3 hours when it was at it's busiest-as there is also pedi HIV clinic so those kids are going for meds today as well) and then back to wait to be seen. But, there were no complaints. Patients were kind and thankful. These docs work incredibly hard, and they just keep picking up charts and seeing patients. It's very rewarding.
 
As for life...
Sadly will be leaving S&S and moving back into my old place on Saturday. Will be nice to be close to work again, but has been great to stay with them.
 
Cheers!

BPB