Saturday, December 13, 2008

Nepal: Trekking

Namaste.
 
I am at a loss for words. If you've been following this blog, you know that often I can summarize. But I can't summarize the past 8 days.
 
How do you summarize:
 
-Spending an hour yesterday, under Tibetan Prayer Flags, looking at the Himalayan Range, completely undisturbed, the only sounds being the occasional hawk flying over head.

-Watching the sunset from Poon Hill yesterday evening, in front of me watching the sunset, behind me the moon rise above Annapurna I (the 10th highest mountain in the world).
 
-Going to bed at 9pm every night because you're beyond exhausted from a days trekking, but also because the only warm place is your sleeping bag.
 
-Hours, literally hours, walking (for me, alone) every day just mesmerized by the scenery, lost in thought, lost in the moment.
 
-Pure physical exhaustion (I made the trek in 8 days, but it's normally a 10-11 day trek) from dropping 1000 meters in a day.
 
-Pure mental exhaustion after a day of second-guessing if I was on the right trail.
 
-Dancing at a wedding celebration (uninvited, but welcomed), drinking the local wine (mulled millet), in the middle of literally, nowhere.
 
Other random things:
 
I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about poverty and life. Contrasting Soweto, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, and Nepal...
 
I did about a dozen medical consults in the 8 days... None of them on locals. I eyeballed the kids as I walked past, looking for the familiar signs of malnutrition (I didn't see any), listening for the chronic coughs (I didn't hear them), searching for those wasting from TB/HIV (I didn't see them).
 

I'm dying to get out of Pokara, Nepal's second largest city. I can't stand the noise. It's way too touristy here. But have decided to hole up here for 2 days of rest, need to give the legs a chance to mend, and also need to replete some glycogen stores, and consume some serious protein. Also, met a cool guy who wants to show me around for a day or so.
 
Headed off the grid again on Tuesday....
 
Cheers,
Brian,