Friday, December 5, 2008

Greetings from Pokara

Namaste (hello greeting)
 
 
Just a quick hello..
 
I started reading Dark Star Safari on the way here (Thanks AB and JS), and the introduction talks about going on this trip for a year and purposely staying away from internet/email, phone, fax, mail etc etc etc.. And that made me wonder how easy it is to stay in touch in this day and age. In fact, as S took me to the airport, we talked about mobile phones, and I had thought about getting a SIM card for my phone so I could have the luxury of sending text messages. Alas, after reading the intro, decided it wasn't necessary.
 
So, with the good graces of the travel gods, I arrived in KTM last night, zipped through immigration, was pleasantly surprised to see my bag, and ended up in a shabby hotel. Walked around, was just in love with the chaos in the streets at 10 pm, the dance that happens in the streets with taxis, motorcycles, pedestrians, cattle, kids. Managed to stock up on some last minute items, and went to bed after a cold shower. With the current power loading, electricity was off this am, so left things out to be easily loaded up this am.
 
Jumped on a plane (small 20 seater) for the flight to Pokara (20 minute flight), and got a magnificent view of the himalayas. Wow.
 
Wandered the town, found a hotel (US $ 7 a night) and then headed off for a small day hike to the World Peace Pogoda in Pokara.
 
It's overcast and a bit cloudy now.
 
Pokara is interesting. Pretty touristy, but have a great vibe to it. I'm slightly envious, I must admit. There is a cadre of folks here who have obviously been her a bit. That transient-wander-around-trustafarians who are all in their 20s, and seem to be totally care-free. Why didn't I do that when I was in my 20s?? But, of course, this sounds absolutely fucking ridiculous now that I have written this down, because I am aware that I'm doing a similar thing this year. And I feel incredibly lucky to have been in Zimbabwe a week ago at this time, and am now in Nepal. The trick will be escaping tourist hang-outs and repeating the feat from last weekend of being the only 2 foreigners in the bar.
 
So, I'm taking off trekking tomorrow... More posts down the road.
 
Oh, some prices..
2L bottle water US$ 0.60
Latte and croissant US$ 2.00 (DOUBLE latte too)
Fake North Face baseball hat US$ 3.00 (and I had to trade in my fake bilabong hat)
 
Cheers,
Brian

 
PS-re: cholera in Zim, it's likely DOUBLE what the UN is reporting, according to the docs in Harare. Don't believe the news...