Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Weekend (and then some) Update

Friday finished work nice and early. Ran to the gym, the grocery store, the watch battery store, the bank. Headed up to S&S house (the gorgeous one I have written about earlier). When I had dinner w/ them last weekend I had mentioned how I would need a social outing when I finished this 14 day stretch on Friday, so they made plans. Basically told I would show up Friday and then head home saturday night. Friday night we had wine sitting outside in the perfect afternoon/evening light, catching up. Then we went out to dinner with some other friends, and then a smaller crowd of us went to meet up with Tim (US professor who is headed back to the US-actually lives in MA). Finally ended up home in the wee hours. Saturday woke up on and off to protests going on outside. Thought I was dreaming of anti-zimbabwe protestors outside, and when I finally got up, realized that the anti-Mugabe protests were starting in the lot across the road! Ended up going for a great brunch and then some walking around and shopping in the Parkhurst area, which rivals melville for having some outdoor seating, shopping, and good people watching. Went back to their house, spent a few hours in the afternoon drinking coffee, reading outside, and I fell asleep outside and took a nice nap! The we went for Sundowners-the art of sitting, enjoying friends and beverages, and watching the sunset. We went to the Westcliff (5 Stars) hotel and it was spectacular. I don't have pics, but S&S do and I will get them, for sure! We then headed out for a Braii, which was also a house-warming for a Norwegian friend of theirs who works at the UN. And what a fun party with so many interesting people!! Unfortunately, I didn't get home until 1 am, and then was up at 6:30 for work. And it was busy, so I ended up leaving work at almost midnight, and then up at 5 yesterday. Needless to say, the excess of work and pleasure have left me slightly wrecked. On rounds today, I started to count down the days left on general wards. The big improvement this month has been my working relationship with the 2 other Regs (Senior Residents) and being treated more like a peer, but the downside has been that while 2 of the other MOs are good, the other 2 are quite lacking, and the medical students are somewhat difficult to manage.
 
More soon...