Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mixed Bag

It's kind of been a mixed bag week. Almost feels like I'm on the hematology/oncology service, as most of the consults I'm covering in the hospital seems to have blood or lymphoma problems, too little of one, too much of the other.

I admitted a patient from the clinic yesterday. Who, I felt was quite ill. Wrote his admission orders and left a fairly good laundry list of stuff that needed to be done when he was admitted. Went to see him this evening, and was a bit annoyed to see that they hadn't even bothered to do most of the things that he needed done on admission, and to annoy me even further, they admitting registrar seems to have completely minimized his symptoms and level of illness. I had the luxury of having plenty of time to take his history and examine him in the clinic. I am almost willing to bet that that the admitting resident spoke to him for less than 5 minutes, and probably only listened to his lungs, then copied my admission note. Which would be fine, had the lame-ass bothered to copy what needed to be done for the patient. This guy may not live; this is based on my recent experiences.

JC's story is unravelling.


That's gotta be it. It is almost 10 pm, must quickly pack for a weekend backpacking trip, have about 10 charts to review, and some other things to get done.

Cheers.

-